CARAMELIZED SWEET POTATO & KALE FRIEND RICE
Adapted from this recipe
Serve 4 as a side dish
- 3/4 cups wild rice blend vegetable broth to cook it in
- 1 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups 1/2″ cubed sweet potato (about 1 medium-sized sweet potato)
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar or honey
- 4 cups packed chopped curly kale (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted pepitas
- For the Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, microplaned or finely minced
- salt and pepper
- Prepare rice according to package instructions using vegetable broth in place of water. Set aside.
- Mix ingredients for Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette and set aside.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add a heavy dash of salt and kale then boil until tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain, then when kale is cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water with hands, crumble, and then set aside.
- In a large skillet melt coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add coconut palm sugar or honey and sweet potatoes, season with salt, and saute until tender and caramelized, 8-10 minutes.
- Add kale, cooked rice and Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette to the skillet (or large bowl) and toss to combine. Serve topped with pepitas.